12-Week Front End Development Program
SC Codes Greenville is a hybrid independent study and in-person program that includes a weekly meetup led by a mentor. The program will require approximately 10 hours total per week to complete.
Spring session begins January 30!
Prospective students that are 18 years or older and qualify for a library card from the Greenville County Library System will need to submit an application and complete the Pre-Work required for enrollment. Candidates will have access to support through freeCodeCamp’s online forums and local group while completing the Pre-Work.
Students who are accepted into the SC Code Greenville program will benefit from joining a peer community with mentor support. Students will learn on their own time using the freeCodeCamp online curriculum and supplemental resources. Once a week for 2 hours, students are required to attend a meetup to review progress, get unstuck and learn from mentors who are part of our local technology industry.
The freeCodeCamp curriculum includes building projects to begin developing the student’s portfolio. The SC Codes Greenville program will provide an additional opportunity to build a project through Code for Greenville. Students will be encouraged to participate in the local tech community user groups for further growth and career connections.
What do I need to participate?
- High school diploma or GED
- Library card with Greenville County Library System (Not sure if you are eligible?)
- Commit to 12-week Front End Web Development Session
- Complete the Pre-Work (approx 15 hours) by the deadline
- Agree to our Code of Conduct
- Attend 2-hour weekly in-person meetups during the 12-week session (Mon 6PM, Tue 6PM, Wed 6PM or Sat 10AM) held at Hughes Main Library
- A laptop computer *
- Resources you must be able to use: freeCodeCamp.com, Lynda.com (free with library card), and CodePen.io.
Is there a cost to participate?
No, there is no fee. This program is offered at no cost to students through grant support from the South Carolina Department of Commerce. You only need your own computer and access to the Internet to do the work on your own time.
How do I get started?
- Complete Free Code Camp’s “Getting Started” section (Read more instructions here)
- Get a library card with the Greenville County Library System (if you don’t have one)
- Fill out the student application below to confirm eligibility
- Complete the Pre-Work to secure a confirmed spot
- Seek help and support for completing the pre-work through the freeCodeCamp meetup.
- If you have questions, contact us.
* A laptop is highly recommended but a desktop computer is adequate.